Why Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is the nation`s best hospital (U.S. News & World Report, 2021-2022) and ranked #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. We have a vast array of opportunities ranging from Nursing, Clinical, to Finance, IT, Administrative, Research and Support Services to name a few. Across all locations, you’ll find career opportunities that support diversity, equity and inclusion. At Mayo Clinic, we invest in you with opportunities for growth and development and our benefits and compensation package are highly competitive. We invite you to be a part of our team where you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and most importantly, a life-changing career!
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
Incorporation of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in medical device designs have the potential to enhance clinical outcomes for healthcare institutions. This internship will expose an intern to current AI/ML design, development methods, and regulations that apply to their deployment. In addition, there will be unique opportunities to explore public regulatory data stores and identify key metrics that could be used to guide regulatory efforts in the development and deployment of software as medical devices. Placement in our internship program does not provide financial assistance with relocation, housing, or transportation. Interns must pass a pre-employment drug test and criminal background check. This is a undergraduate level internship.
Specific learning objectives would include:
- Developing assessment tools to help teams confirm their application of AI/ML.
- Performing exploratory analyses on FDA and external APIs to identify key regulatory metrics that facilitate SaMD medical device development.
This vacancy is not eligible for sponsorship/ we will not sponsor or transfer visas for this position.
- Dashboarding, visualization, and presentation of key findings to stakeholders at multiple levels in the organization with differing levels of statistical knowledge.
- Gaining a real-world understanding of how AI/ML is treated in a healthcare institution undergoing a digital transformation. Education will be provided through learning assignments and informal interviews with key colleagues across the Center for Digital Health.
- Assistance in exploratory analysis in order to find "interesting metrics" to get ahead of the FDA
- Presenting findings to a group of people with differing levels of statistical knowledge
The incumbent must be enrolled in a degree program from a college or university. Typically, this internship would occur after the student has taken most of the courses required by the degree program.
Must have authorization to work and remain in the United States, without necessity for Mayo Clinic sponsorship now, or in the future (for example, be a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident, refugee or asylee).
Prefer a candidate:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree program or post-secondary education with a focus on data science or related field.
- Capable of performing common data mining tasks including data loading, data cleaning, identify and handle outliers and data conversion.
- Has web development experience (web frameworks, API integration) and integration with at least one software development language (R, Python).
- Has experience with dashboard visualization techniques and tools (Tableau).
- With a anticipated graduation in 2023 or returning to a degree program after completion of the internship.
This position has a predetermined rate of $15.00 per hour.
Hours / Pay period
Part time, 20-30 hours per week for the Fall 2022 semester internship. This is a 100% remote role, the employee can work anywhere in the U.S.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
GET THE BOOK